Are Yello known in your country?

Talk of anything YELLO
lexus7

Are Yello known in your country?

Postby lexus7 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:44 pm

In New Zealand you can find some of their stuff in local music stores and some local web sites. I've heard that in some countries they are a total mystery... What is it like where you from?
Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 am

Mostly a mystery, not a single copy to be found here except maybe the odd Essential, even in the "big" CD markets that are held few times a year.
Last edited by Bjossi on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptowen

Postby Cryptowen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Seem to be fairly unknown here in Canada. I know a few local Yello fans, but the stores don't stock any of their cds (though one time I found a vinyl copy of YGSYTAE at a used records store). Most people only get who I'm talking about if I say "those guys who did the 'Oh Yeah' song".
Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Which is a real shame, Yello is so much more than Oh Yeah, which wasn't that good of a song to begin with (in my opinion at least).
JJ Naas

Postby JJ Naas » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:14 pm

People of my age (30+) often know in Finland that Yello did other songs besides Oh Yeah as well. At least those that had MTV Europe in the mid 90's. if people saw Yello music videos, they didn't forget them very easily. I like to look for excuses to mention Yello when talking about music and pop culture, and the range of people who liked The Race or were totally baffled by Rubberbandman is surprising.
lexus7

Postby lexus7 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 am

Once I heard "Flag" playing from a hi-fi equipment store, they even had speakers outside the shop, so everyone passing it could hear. That was surprising.
Some radio stations still use "Race" as a background noise in their programmes here...
zaz965

yello

Postby zaz965 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:30 am

yello flag it is break in music 80, the race a fantasy even 21 century musical, products yello remain live, instead of lie, on regiments forgotten by time.

Music yello this life

8)
Perthguy

Postby Perthguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:37 am

OH yeah was in top ten in Australia in 1988 (I think) I saw of coarse I'm lying in top 100 soon after then tied up was played on music shows for a while, but then nothing has been heard about Yello since then. But they do play oh yeah still (for a few seconds) on radio promo's. :D
Ilya Petrov

Postby Ilya Petrov » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:20 pm

In Russia everybody heard something about Yello. Especially people in an age of 30-50.
You can find some of their albums in any store.
"Hawaiian Chance" was a main music of the News on Russian Channel for two years 1992-1994.
I noticed people don't know anything about Yello, but when they hear the Yello's music they like it very much.
It's good music!
Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Indeed. The music is not the reason Yello aren't famous, it is the lack of promotion and hype. Just look at Oh Yeah, used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and two decades later no human being has not heard it before, just like Eiffel 65's Blue (da ba dee).
Cobra

Postby Cobra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:59 am

Unfortunately I don't think they get the recognition they deserve all over the world. I agree with Bjossi about it being about promoting. If I ask a stranger if they have ever heard of Yello I would probably get a puzzled expression in reply. Ask about the 'Oh Yeah' song, and it's a different story.

However I wouldn't say unheard of, I do enjoy using video jukeboxes at places I visit to play whatever Yello they may have.
imarco75

UK

Postby imarco75 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:37 pm

I think Yello were quite well known during the late 80s / early 90s in the UK. They just didn't fit in with the times and only really appeared on TV via MTV Europe, rather than conventional music television programming. Ironically, twenty years on, most music TV in the UK seems to have been cancelled bar Jools Holland and small segment programmes on Channel 4.

Just seen the trailer on the main Yello site and really REALLY looking forward to the new album.

A lot of bands/musicians I like are suddenly releasing new albums in Sept / Oct this year - is there something in the water?

Lee
Cobra

Re: UK

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:31 pm

imarco75 wrote:Just seen the trailer on the main Yello site and really REALLY looking forward to the new album.

Same here, I can't wait.
Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:59 pm

I had thought before that Dieter was the coolest multi-millionaire alive, but that video alone takes my opinion of him to a whole new level, a level that crosses the boundaries of what adjectives can possibly cover. :P

The whole video is just so damn classy, the high contrast color scheme (lots of black with bright colors from start to end), a gorgeous journey through a wireframed world with Dieter's speech and Boris' timeless, goosebumpifying music in the background, and then we get taken to some kind of stage that I can't really understand but it looks and sound gorgeous none the less.

Yello are the greatest band of all time, period.
zaz965

yello

Postby zaz965 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 am

(Yello are the greatest band of all time, period)

You are absolutely right :P

Return to “General YELLO Talk”